Monday, October 14, 2013

Supporting Statement

Extract from a recent application:
"From a photographic point of view, I’m not so interested in the tourist-eye view of Brighton – the seaside piers, amusements and traditional entertainments are already well documented. I’ve tried to avoid the obvious, spectacular, shiny bauble subjects much photographed around the beach. Instead, I’m looking for a more resident-eye view – the everyday experiences and scenes that make Brighton distinct from other seaside towns and from other non-seaside towns. The city behind the seafront.
I’ve tried to capture a certain seedy dilapidated glamour that I associate with the town but haven’t seen addressed via photography. As the project has evolved, I find myself coming back to Keith Waterhouse’s phrase that “Brighton is a town that always looks as if it is helping police with their inquiries”.

No comments:

Post a Comment